Tonight for dinner, I had a plan. It was going to be perfect. Homemade tortillas, pinto beans, poblano sauce, with mango and cucumber side.
But my plan failed!
The problem started with the beans. After two and half hours on medium low, they still were not tender. I turned the stove up to high and planned to eat them in 20 minutes weather they were done or not.
My next problem was the tortillas. It seemed so simple. Water, Salt, and Masa. Mix together. Flatten. Toast… Done! Not!! I do not have a tortillas press, so I used foil and my cast iron skillet to flatten the dough. (I got this idea online). They would not flatten thin like a normal tortillas. They were kind of like pancakes.
The poblano pepper sauce was suppose to be a smooth sauce, but my food processor does not work that well, so I was left with a chunky sauce. It still tasted fine, though.
I can’t complain about the mango side dish. It turned out great. I forgot the jalapeno, though.
Slow Cooker Pinto Beans
- 8 oz Dried Pinto Beans
- 1/4 Cup Onion- Chopped
- 1 Clove Garlic- Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Soak beans over night in water. Drain and Rinse beans.
- Mix all ingredients together in a slow cooker with 5 cups water.
- Cook on Low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
Poblano Pepper Sauce
- 1 Poblano Pepper- Roasted, Peeled, and Chopped
- 1/2 Bell Pepper- Roasted, Peeled, and Chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1/2-1 Tbsp Lime
- Blend all ingredients together in a food processor until desired consistency.
Mango and Cucumber Salsa
- 1 Mango- Diced (See Picture)
- 1 Cucumber- Seeds removed and Diced
- 2 Tbsp Red Onion- Diced
- 1 tsp Hot Sauce
- 1/2-1 Jalapeno- Minced
- 1 tsp Lime
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Chili until ready to serve.
I know this recipe sounds weird. I originally made this with fish tacos, but I can not remember where I found the recipe or what it is originally called. Mango and Cucumber Salsa sounded good to me though.
I was so frustration with dinner, but once everything came together, I realized it tasted pretty good and looked good too.
Huck really enjoyed it. Even without the meat!!