Today, Huck turned the big 3-1!! I decided to surprise him with an awesome Birthday present I found. :)
For lunch, he wanted me to use the Spent Grains I dried last night. I decided to make bread bowls with Turkey Soup. I was out of yeast, so I used a recipe for beer bread I have. I do not know where I seen this recipe, but it is so easy. The original recipe only has 4 ingredients: Flour, Beer, Sugar, and Butter.He really liked it. I gave him his real present later. I bought him a few polo shirts and the book Brewing up a Business by the founder of Dogfish Head.
Beer Bread with Spent Grains
- 3 Cups Self Rising Flour
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Spent Grains
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 12oz Beer
- 2 Tbsp Melted Butter
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix first 4 ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add beer. Beer will foam up a little.
- Divide dough into 4 equal pieces and roll into a ball.
- Place on cookie sheet and rub with melted butter.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes.
*The bread was great right out of the oven, but it was very dense and chewy the next day. Just a heads up!
|I wanted a beer that was light in flavor for this recipe|
|Ready for the Soup|
Easy Turkey and Rice Soup
- 1 Cup Turkey-Cooked and Diced
- 1/4 Cup Onion-Diced
- 1/4 Cup Carrot-Diced
- 1/4 Cup Broccoli-Chopped
- 3 Cup Chicken Stock
- 1/3 Cup Rice
- 1 Tsp Thyme
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Saute onion and carrots. Add turkey, broccoli, stock, thyme, garlic, bay, and rice.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is done.
|Enjoying his new book by the pool|
|Huck surprised me with flowers and a card to wish me good luck on my new job tomorrow. He is the best!!|
|Our crazy eyed puppy with is mohawk hair!|
Tomorrow, it’s back to the real world. Goodnight!