Brewing My First Beer

After weeks of waiting, my beer is finally ready.

We went to the local Brewing Supply Store to get everything I needed for my beer. The lady there proved me with a basic/simple Wheat Beer recipe.

I needed Hops (Adds bitter flavor to the beer), yeast (makes the alcohol), and Liquid Malt (Makes the sugars that the yeast eats to make the alcohol.) I went with an all liquid malt because it was easier then using grains.

Measuring my Hops

We arrived home, and I changed into my beer clothes and started boiling 2.5 gallons of water on the stove. Once that came to a rolling boil (2 hours later), I added the extract to the water stirring to make sure it did not settle on the bottom.

Representing Hucklebuck Brewing!

This stuff is like molasses

Once the beer started to boil, I added the first set of hops. 45 minutes later I added the second batch of hops and boiled for an additional 15 minutes. It boiled for a total of 1 hour.

I needed Huck to help me with the next part. I removed the mixture from the stove and added 2.5 gallons of ice to cool the liquid.

Once the beer cooled to 68 degrees, Huck transferred the 5 gallons of liquid into a fermentation bucket, and we “pinched the yeast” or added yeast to the beer. I placed the top on and placed the bucket in the guest bath tub for 1 week.

A week later, it was time to transfer to the secondary fermentation bucket and add the fruit. I used 5 Mangos and 7 Key Limes (Juice and Zest). I diced and mashed the mango with the juice from the Key Limes. I boiled the mixture on the stove to kill anything that could contaminate my beer.

I added the fruit to a mesh bag so it would not clog the tube when I was transferring to the bottles.

The beer sat in the secondary for another week, and then I bottled the it.

Bottling was umm Fun!

I had to clean all the bottles first.

I had a lot of bottles to clean!

This cleans the inside of the bottle. It makes it a little easier!

After cleaning ALL OF THE BOTTLES, it was time to transfer the beer into a bottling bucket. And yes I did this in the bathroom. Yes it was clean, and trust me I’m not the only one.

I heated a pan on the stove with a few cups of water. I added priming sugar to the water and boiled until the sugar dissolved. I added this to the bottling bucket. I transferred the beer on top of the sugar/water mixture.

After transferring to the bottling bucket, it was time to start bottling. I sanitized the caps and filled the clean bottles with the beer.

I think the hardest part was capping the bottles.

I guess I was stronger than I thought.

After all my bottles were capped, the hard part came! Waiting! I boxed all my bottles up all 48 of my bottles and walked away. It was 2 weeks before we were able to drink the beer. This is called bottle conditioning. By added the sugar to the bottling bucket, it gives the yeast something to eat and causes the beer to carbonate.

I HAVE TO WAIT 2 MORE WEEKS!! WHAT?!?!

A few weeks later, we popped one open and tried it. I decided at that moment it was going to be just a Key Lime Beer. The Mango did not come through at all. I was very disappointed in that part, but for a Key Lime Beer it taste great. It is nice and refreshing. Prefect for a Summer day.

I even used it to make Key Lime Pie.

The whole process was long but fun. And really easy. I spent maybe 3 full hours working on the beer. The rest of the time was just waiting for the beer to do its thing. Oh and cleaning was about 70% of the whole process.

I can’t wait to do another one. It is so much fun coming up with crazy flavors to add to beer and then come up with awesome recipes to go with it!

Here is the recipe I followed for this recipe.

For all the supplies on the list, I only spent about $40 including the mango, key lime, and bottle caps. $40 for 5 gallons of beer.

I can’t wait to share this with family and friends when we go home in a couple weeks. :)

Comments

Leave a Reply