Today, was a busy day. We went to Miami this morning, and I spent the rest of the day cleaning and organizing the house. Maybe not a busy day, but it went by really fast.
We have a fridge full of leftovers and can’t waste food, so we have enjoyed a week of lazy dinners and leftovers. I posted a recipe from my old blog to make up for my lack of creativity this week.
Now it is time for bed. I have a few more things to do in the morning before we pick Nathan up at the airport.
I used Sweetwater Sch’Wheat Beer for the batter. My fish is battered and bake in the oven instead of frying in oil. I only used a little cooking spray on the oven rack to prevent the fish from sticking. This is my attempt on healthier beer batter fish tacos. Enjoy!
Sch’Wheat. My favorite beer. It adds a mild beer flavor. Not to over powering.
The beer batter with cumin, ground red pepper for heat, and chili powder.
The pieces of fish cooking in the oven. I used Mahi Mahi (it is firm and was on sale :)
- 1 lb. Fish (Firm white fish)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Chili powder
- Ground Red Pepper to taste.
- Corn Tortillas
- Avocado Sauce (see recipe)
- Pepper Jack Cheese
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees
- Mix 3/4 cup of flour with spices and add beer.
- Toss fish in extra flour.
- Coat fish in batter and remove excess.
- Place battered fish on a lined cookie sheet (I cooked mine on a rack but even with cooking spray they stuck.)
- Cook for 10 minutes or until fish flakes and batter is crispy.
- Serve on corn tortillas with sauce, lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese. Black bean or rice make a nice side dish.
Avocado Cream Sauce
- 1 Avocado
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 Lime
- Jalapeño (I used two but we like our food hot)
- Salt to taste
Blend all ingredients together in a food processor until smooth. Serve in the empty avocado shell.
One serving 370 calories
One serving: one taco with one Tbsp sauce, one ounce fish, one corn tortillas, one Tbsp pepper jack cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and 1/2 cup black beans (black beans 1/2 cup 110 calories). (This is an estimate)
I hope you try this recipe. It is really good!! Goodnight!