Last night I did two things I never do! I ate dinner before 6 and fried something. Huck has been asking for Country Fried Steak for dinner for awhile now. This meal was something I grew up eating. Me, my mom, or Sister would make this on special occasions. My mom makes her homemade biscuits with hers. I’m not that good.
This recipe is not for the healthy eaters or the ones trying to lose a few pounds…. Or the girl who is getting married in a couple weeks! That would be me!! But it’s good! It reminds me of home. It reminds me of get together with my whole family, sitting around the table. The only thing I miss about GA!
Country Fried Steak
Make 4 Serving for normal people. 2 servings for us!
- 1 lb Cube Steak
- 1/2-3/4 Cup Flour
- Salt and Pepper
- Ground Red Pepper Powder
- Pour enough oil in a pan to cover the bottom. Heat over medium to medium high heat.
- Mix flour, salt and pepper and red pepper powder together.
- Coat the meat in the flour and carefully add to the oil.
- Cook until outside is golden brown. 3-4 minutes of each side.
Mushroom Brown Gravy
Make 1 1/4 cup gravy
- 1/3 Cup Flour
- 1/3 Cup Butter
- 1 1/2 Cup Beef Stock
- 1/2 Cup Mushrooms- Chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat pan over medium heat.
- Add butter and start to melt.
- Add flour and whisk together
- Add stock slowly, whisking as you go to prevent lumps.
- Add mushrooms and bring to a simmer.
- Turn down to low and cook until thick.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over Potatoes and Country Fried Steak
Huck was really hungry. Yes, he ate all of this! He was the reason we had dinner at 5PM. We were suppose to go to kickball but my work sent me ALL the information I had been waiting for, all day, at 530PM and wanted it turned in last night! I was freaking out and decided it was best to stay home and work.
Now back to work. And back with a not so unhealthy recipe later!