If you’ve been reading LF&B for a while, you may remember my post last year, about my Thanksgiving Curse. I believe I’m a good cook until Thanksgiving. It’s like Thanksgiving comes around, and I forget everything I know.
Well, tomorrow, we are hosting Thanksgiving dinner at our house. Some of our Florida friends, that are staying in town, are coming over. I’m responsible for the Turkey, Dressing (or Stuffing depending on where you are from), Cranberry Sauce, Mashed Potatoes, and Gravy. You read that right. I’m planning to cook all the stars of Thanksgiving. No pressure, right?
I decided to try out a few recipes, yesterday, so hopefully everything will run smoothly.
I started with some of the leftover apples from my mini apple pies.
Apple and Cranberry Sauce
- 2 Granny Smith Apples- Peeled and Small Diced
- 1 Pound Whole Cranberries
- 2 Cup Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Water
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Orange- Zest and Juice
- 1-2 tsp Lemon (Optional. I added lemon to my apple pie mix)
- In a sauce pot, combine cranberries, apples, sugar, and water. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat.
- Once mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Simmer for 5-7 minutes. The cranberries will pop open.
- Add the orange juice and zest and combined.
- Cool sauce and serve.
I made cornbread for my dressing. Dressing is my FAVORITE part of Thanksgiving. I called my Nanny Mathis, yesterday, to make sure I had everything I needed.
I saved some of the cornbread mixture and added my dressing ingredients.
It was a little dry, but I blame that on the fact I started with uncooked cornbread and no gravy. The flavor was good, though.
My fingers are crossed I don’t screw it up tomorrow!! I’ll keep you posted.. Of course!
As for today, we are relaxing and cleaning. Huck got tired of brushing Ginny, so he found a new way to handle the dog hair!
We will never own another dog that sheds! It is horrible!
London, hasn’t been much help today, either!